News Flash

City of Minot News Flash

Posted on: May 24, 2021

Bystanders help contain garage fire in SW Minot

Two bystanders using garden hoses helped contain a garage fire on Sunday until the Minot Fire Department arrived and finished extinguishing the fire.

Firefighters responded to 1517 4th St SW for a report of a garage on fire. Upon arrival, fire units found bystanders spraying water on the fire and a garbage can next to the garage. Fire crews finished extinguishing the flames and checked the garage for any further damage or hazards.

During the course of the fire investigation, it was determined charcoal ashes used the day before had been discarded in the garbage can. There were still some hot embers that ignited materials in the garbage can, causing the fire.

The Fire Department reminds residents to be sure all burned materials are completely out and cool before being discarded. This can be done by stirring ashes and burnt material around until completely cool, or by using water to extinguish any burning or smoldering materials.

Facebook Twitter Email