News Flash

Home

Posted on: August 21, 2019

NDR: Where we've been, where we're going

City of Minot officials updated residents on the progress made with $74.3 million awarded in 2016 through the Housing and Urban Development’s National Disaster Resilience Competition.

City Manager Tom Barry told the crowd at the City’s second Town Hall meeting of 2019 that Minot has utilized 27% of the funds, which puts Minot ahead of the other 12 grantees.

“HUD does have such a high degree of confidence that they waived our audit this year,” Barry said. “They are feeling very good about what we are doing and how we are administering it.”

John Zakian, resilience program director for the City of Minot, said the 13 grantees have until Sept. 30, 2022, to utilize the money; any unspent funds must be returned to the federal government. In its award, Minot received nearly $21 million to reduce flood risk, $43 million for affordable housing in resilient neighborhoods, and $5.3 million for economic growth.

So far, money has been used for a variety of purposes:

  • -Property buyouts related to flood control
  • -Affordable housing projects such as Park South Apartments
  • -Mortgage assistance to aid flood victims in moving out of the flood zone

A project to create a gathering space in downtown Minot was included in the City’s original request and subsequent approved action plan. The $6 million project is progressing, as the City is in active negotiations with two remaining property owners for parcels of land necessary for the favored site, which is near First Street SE and First Avenue SE in downtown Minot.

At the Aug. 15 Town Hall, held at Washington Elementary School, attendees listened to presentations from Barry, Zakian, and Minot’s Director of Public Works Dan Jonasson about projects related to the City, including progress on flood control,

Melissa Ziegler of CDM Smith, a consulting firm that works alongside the City, discussed progress on creating more affordable housing in the city, including an upcoming project to renovate Milton Young Towers, the Blu on Broadway project that will create a mixed-use facility that includes affordable housing, and a sub-recipient agreement with Lutheran Social Services to create a family shelter.

In addition, Mayor Shaun Sipma, council members Paul Pitner, Lisa Olson, Josh Wolsky, and Stephen Podrygula all addressed the crowd on a variety of subjects, including flood control, the gathering space, and fostering economic development to make Minot a more resilient community in the aftermath of the 2011 flood.

 More information: https://www.minotnd.org/469/National-Disaster-Resilience-Program

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home

Police Chief Olson announces retirement

Posted on: November 6, 2019

Burns named top FD instructor in ND

Posted on: October 23, 2019

City preps for winter weather

Posted on: October 22, 2019

Residents share views on recycling

Posted on: October 22, 2019

'If you have a dream, do it'

Posted on: October 1, 2019

Gathering space focus turns to new site

Posted on: October 9, 2019

Work continues on Minot levee system

Posted on: September 18, 2019

New committee will focus on nuisances

Posted on: September 4, 2019

'I feel like I can make a difference'

Posted on: September 4, 2019

Construction not slowing down yet

Posted on: September 4, 2019

Fog sealing: What is it?

Posted on: August 21, 2019

Retaining wall project moving forward

Posted on: August 21, 2019

2020 budget process continues

Posted on: August 22, 2019