2020 Election Information
The 2020 Primary Election will be June 9, 2020.
Open positions include:
- 3 Council Aldermen for a four-year term
- 2 Park Board Commissioners for a four-year term
- 3 School Board Members for a four-year term
Interested in running for Office?Stop by the City Clerk's Office located at City Hall and pick up a petition. The deadline for nominating petitions to have a name placed on the City election ballot is Monday, April 6, 2020 at 4:00 p.m., and must be filed in the Office of the City Clerk. Filed along with the petitions is a Statement of Interest and Petition/Certificate of Nomination. (Nominating petitions are not required for School Board candidates - A filing statement is to be filed in Office of Business Manager, Minot School Board Office by April 6, 2020, 4:00 p.m.).
Aldermen, Park Board Commissioner, Mayor and Judge must contain the name and mailing address of at least three hundred qualified electors living within the corporate limits of the city.
Aldermen: Qualified elector (voter) of the City, resident of the City for at least nine months, not convicted of malfeasance, bribery, or corrupt practice and not in default to the City.
Park Board Member: The members of the Board of Park Commissioners shall posses the qualifications of electors of the City and must be elected by the qualified electors of the Park District (City).
School Board Member: Qualified elector and resident of the School District.
The 2020 Primary Election is vote by mail ONLY. No Polling Locations will be open.
Due to COVID-19, the Ward County Commissioners passed a resolution to conduct a Vote By Mail Primary Election. This effort is being made to not only protect you the voter, but the county’s election workers as well.
Absentee Ballot Information
Vote-By-Mail is the same process as used when voters choose to vote by Absentee Ballot.
Ballot applications must be received via mail in the Auditor/Treasurer’s Office by June 4, 2020. If you have not received a ballot application in the mail, you can find it at https://vip.sos.nd.gov/PortalList.aspx
- Once applications are received, ballots will be mailed to you.
- When preparing to return the ballot, make sure you sign and date the return envelope where indicated. Signatures are authenticated by matching the signatures on the ballot application and the envelope.
- Ballots may be mailed to the Ward County Auditor's Office (P.O. Box 5005, Minot, ND 58702-5005) or dropped off at the Ward County Administration Building Library Drop Box. Ballots must be postmarked no later than June 8, 2020, or may be dropped off by 4:00 p.m. on June 9th.
If you have questions, contact 857-6420.